Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Video: The Return of the Door


Video: The Return of the Door


The final point of the linear expression of APHASIA is a video projection in which the same door that greeted visitors to APHASIA is re-presented in a new environment. The video team (Darragh and cinematographer JJ Rolfe) shot the scene on location in Mucker, Ireland.

Here is Darragh's journal entry following the shoot:

Shooting the scene for the door.

Entering Cassidy's field I made my way to the Great Northern railway tracks to clear the pathway for the dolly tracks. In came JJ through the old metal gates and together we lay the tracks down one by one clearing any nettles and weeds in the way. Next came the red door. I threw it over the wall of my house, jumped over myself and carried the door through the field to reach the tracks. I had imagined it for a long time perched in the middle of the tracks, the red door alerting itself, calling for attention. Positioning it in the middle of the tracks it seems to look like it floated in the pathway. The sun beamed in, not usual for Ireland's weather, so several takes at the shoot occurred. I could see a cloud in the distance in the blue of the sky. As it slowly settled in, it dulled the whole scene and made just the right lighting for the shoot. A slow motion shot in towards the door and then back out again it had to be, just like the other takes. A little rabbit hopped across the back of the setting. I liked it. It gave a bit of character, reality, to the setting.  On two incoming and outgoings I felt like the piece was complete. I had got what I came for. 


And here are a few images images from the shoot:






No comments:

Post a Comment